Siding Project (No more green) – Weekend 1

So the siding must come down and repairs to the sheathing must be made.  The vinyl siding was ordered, delivered, and is waiting in the garage.

New siding!

WP_20150725_18_21_21_Pro

The beginning of the siding removal.  Here you can see my attempt at fixing the flaking siding and painting it in 30 degree weather, UGLY!

WP_20150913_12_06_50_Pro WP_20150913_12_49_04_Pro WP_20150913_12_07_52_Pro WP_20150913_14_29_20_Pro WP_20150913_14_28_32_Pro

The worst of it was at/behind the chimney.  The first roof failed and allowed a ton of water down the chimney and it ruined the sheathing behind it quite badly.  I suspect the chimney was the reason for replacing the roof in the first place.  Luckily there was no sign of moisture there and the previous hale had been patched.

Our first step was removing the siding from behind the chimney which wasn’t even the hard part. Then we had to remove the sheathing nailed in behind the chimney as it was added on after the house was sided.  Most of the sheathing crumbed off and we were happy to find the wall studs were in good shape with no rot, the sheathing had done it’s job!

WP_20150914_10_17_42_Pro WP_20150914_12_07_55_Pro

We began replacing the sheathing and foamed around the chimney which was a massive heat loss, the foam is visible from inside the house.  We started with the easier lower section and had to fight it into place.WP_20150914_17_02_14_Pro

We removed the damaged section of soffit as well and pre-cut and painted the replacement pieces as I am not a huge fan of painting above my head on a scaffold.  We finished the day late by completing the soffit and replaced all the damaged sheathing.

WP_20150914_19_57_34_Pro WP_20150914_19_57_43_Pro

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *