Siding Project (No more green) – Weekend 2

We began on Saturday with an extra set of hands (Thanks Ted!) and began the morning with a sad deck demo.  I didn’t want to see it go as it was a great place to grill but the side of the house needed repair, and we wanted it done right.

WP_20150920_10_54_55_Pro

After Deck demo and removing the bulk of the damaged sheathing we pulled out the slider to install it permanently, had installed it last winter but not the correct way.  The previous installation was set on blocks and then some sort of concrete was pushed under it, creating massive crevasse where moisture, air, and critters could gain access to the house.  I chipped all that out while Ted and my dad replaced the rim board where the deck was bolted to the house.

WP_20150920_11_59_30_Pro

This was where I forgot to wear a hat and ended up burning my head, not a pleasant experience…

Continuing on, I used fast setting concrete and a bonding agent to re-form the edge of the house for a flat place to put the slider on.

Finishing up on Saturday we completed the day by installing the last window and replacing all the damaged sheathing.  At this point it only made sense to replace the back door as it was a serious cause of air penetration.  We placed the stairs under the new door to give us access to the backyard until the deck was replaced.

WP_20150920_19_01_47_Pro

We began on Sunday by doing some minor cleanup and tweaks.  My dad finished removing the siding on the second story, and I moved the light fixture on the outside of the house up about 4 feet for better lighting.  He discovered a note on the old home wrap, and we cut it down to save it.

WP_20150921_13_42_03_Pro WP_20150921_20_02_55_Pro

The next and final step for the long, sore, tired weekend was the Tyvek house wrap.

WP_20150921_15_36_13_Pro WP_20150921_18_10_55_Pro

WP_20150921_17_53_11_Pro WP_20150921_18_10_34_Pro

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *