Category Archives: Home

Window replacement project – Weekend 1

After our trial run it was time to start on the rest of the house, we started with the most difficult windows, the 3 second story double windows.

WP_20150803_10_05_01_Pro WP_20150803_12_44_05_Pro WP_20150803_12_44_14_Pro WP_20150803_13_48_43_Pro

In 1 day we managed to get all 3 front second story windows finished, and the 2 second story windows on the left side of the house, leaving 6 windows on the back of the house to be done, and then planned on doing more 2 weeks from now

Window replacement project – Pre-weekend 1

WP_20150703_063We began with 13 windows (4 of them double windows) to replace all but the bay window.  Late on a Tuesday night we decided to replace 2 windows and see how it would go before we committed a weekend.

The initial install went quite well and only took us an hour or so to do both windows.  We began by cutting the siding back first to limit dust inside then pulled out the window.

The next step was to flash the window opening and slide the windows in securing them to the house by using the nailing flange with some silicon caulk for sealant.  Finally the last step was the exterior flashing, preventing water from penetrating the opening, all in all it went well and we planned on installing as many as we could in a couple weeks.

WP_20150707_21_19_17_Pro WP_20150707_21_19_55_Pro WP_20150707_21_20_23_Pro


Post leach field lawn, take 2.

My first attempt with Scott’s EZ Seed was disastrous, I bought 7 bags of the stuff spent almost $400 and got basically nothing.  So second attempt after watching some “this old home” videos, I started by raking the top layer loose, putting down starter fertilizer, then seeding.  After seeding I used the backside of a plastic rake o cover the seed and distribute it evenly.  The last phase was a top layer of compost to keep the seeds moist and promote growth.  Got a watering schedule of 15 minutes each morning to keep moisture at the seeds because I have sandy soil.



Garage door problem and solution

So the garage doors looked alright from far but as I started to use them more and more I noticed that both of them were having problems where the steel cable mounted to the bottom.  After months of using the left garage door (the only one with an opener) one day the cable let loose from the bottom and stopped functioning at that point.  I am pretty sure the brackets were more rust than metal.


I spent some time researching prices and and looks, and decided on the doors with the 4 windows.

To get them home I decided to take out my passenger seat as the only Home depot that had them in stock was down in Merrimack.

WP_20150530_004 WP_20150530_003

The first door disassembled in a few hours very slowly and I replaced the rotted boards where the track would mount so that I wouldn’t have to worry about this again for years. To trim the garage doors I used vinyl instead of wood, which costs more to start but will never need replacing.

WP_20150530_005 WP_20150530_006

My overnight blockade.


The next day I continued working and with some help the garage door went up in a few hours, track and all, and was left with a working door, and a mismatched facade!


A few weeks later when I had spare time I finished the second door, but for now re-used the track as it was customized for my garage due to width issues.